- This event has passed.
‘A Story Unfolds’ – Interactive theatre-based problem-solving @ Blacktown, NSW
August 1, 2016 @ 9:30 am - August 2, 2016 @ 4:30 pm$484
Not everyone loves role plays. But everyone loves a good show; which is why we (well, a lot of us) go to movies or plays, watch television or play X box. And this is where ‘A Story Unfolds’ comes in. ‘A Story Unfolds’ is an interactive story-based way to explore with groups (including very large ones) issues both social and/or personal, and to identify possible solutions to problems or ‘where to from here?’ It can tackle any topic, serious or playful.
‘A Story Unfolds’ involves a narrator or facilitator who presents, bit by bit, a story. And it’s a story which often has twists and turns and which presents moral dilemmas and tricky decisions. Key moments of the story are acted out by a group of ‘actors,’ who themselves may simply be ordinary people who put in an hour preparation before a workshop. There is a panel, volunteered spontaneously from group members, who make comments about what they see unfolding. The facilitator constantly goes to the audience for comments, suggestions, and creates opportunities for them to get up on stage and become actively involved. The whole thing is dynamic, risky and very useful.
- Will take you through all the planning steps of such an event
- Will look at how to build audience/group participation gradually from the simple to the complex
- Provide strategies to ‘warm’ an audience to the idea of participating
- Give you a chance to create stories for your likely future audiences
- Give you practice in the role of the facilitator.
In the workshop ‘A Story Unfolds’ will be supported by multiple simple and active theatre-based activities to use in groups to:
- Engage with group members
- Build group connectedness
- Develop process and content simultaneously
- Manage tension
- Plan for the future.
This workshop is for anyone interested in raising social awareness and promoting social change, in education, and in personal growth, and is seeking to do this in dynamic and interactive ways.