- This event has passed.
GROUP LEADERSHIP TRAINING COURSE (6-days)
October 17, 2016 - October 18, 2016
The NSW Institute of Group Leaders consists of an expert working group of specialists in the field of group leadership. It is a non-profit organisation that aims to increase the knowledge and skills of group leaders operating in a wide variety of settings.
The Group Leadership Training Course is a 6-day experiential course that includes knowledge, skills and experiences deemed necessary for general competency of group workers. Core training is considered a prerequisite for advanced practice in group work. The module examines the scope of practice, types of group work, group development, group processes and dynamics, group leadership, and standards of training and practice for group workers.
The module is based on an international set of standards for group work, which were developed by the Association for Specialists in Group Work Professional Training Standards for the Training of Group Workers (USA). Completion of this module allows the student to achieve accredited membership of the Institute of Group Leaders Co-op Ltd (Australia). Training includes observation, participation and analysis of the learning group and the completion of some written assignments. The course has a maximum of 14 participants and is led by a highly skilled accredited trainer.
- Outline historical perspectives on the development and application of group work
- Demonstrate group work planning, program development and associated administrative functions
- Identify the key elements of group dynamics and group processes
- Demonstrate the application of adult learning principles and appropriate techniques and intervention strategies for facilitating a group process
- Observe a group and analyse a range of intervention strategies to manage a variety of group work situations
- Compare group leadership styles and the theoretical perspectives that inform them
- Demonstrate ethical group work behaviour and identify professional development needs and strategies
- Historical development and rationale of group work
- Group planning and development
- Group dynamics and group stage development
- Leadership in groups and group process
- Assessing group effectiveness and managing issues in the group
- Techniques for conducting a group