- This event has passed.
The Occasional Counsellor™ – Lismore, NSW
July 12, 2016 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm$242
The Occasional Counsellor™ is for staff who are not employed in a counselling role but are called upon to give others emotional support, including receptionists, case managers and direct care staff. The focus of the workshop is teaching the participants strategies for assisting individuals who are sad, upset, bewildered, confused, angry or suicidal while clearly remaining within their role.
The workshop covers the following areas:
- the skills of the helper including the importance of empathy and when not to empathise
- understanding professional boundaries including understanding your role and the limits of your role
- the difference between emotional support and counselling
- simple, practical strategies for supporting individuals who may be acutely emotionally distressed while keeping yourself safe and remaining in your role
- self-care for the worker.
When: Tuesday, 12th July 2016 from 9.30am – 4.30pm
Where: Lismore Workers Club 231 Keen Street, Lismore NSW
Cost: The early bird booking is $242.00 if registration occurs before 9th July (GST included). The fee for registrations after the 9th July is $297.00 (GST included). Morning tea and lunch are provided.
To register: Register and complete payment below. A Tax Invoice will be emailed to you. The payment needs to be completed before the workshop occurs, for the registration to be fully confirmed.
Facilitator: David Cherry
David is a Clinical and Forensic Psychologist who has been working for 34 years. He has run The Occasional Counsellor™ workshop all around Australia for staff in welfare, health, disability, education and aged care settings as well as for staff in local, state and commonwealth government departments. He has extensive experience in working with people who are upset, anxious, depressed or angry and in providing support for individuals who have been involved in a broad range of challenging situations.