- This event has passed.
USING METAPHOR AND STORYTELLING IN GROUP WORK WITH VULNERABLE AND MANDATED CLIENTS
Working with vulnerable and mandated clients can present some complexities particularly in relation to engagement and ongoing commitment to the group process. This workshop will assist participants to see how the use of metaphor and storytelling can engage clients and lead them gently and respectfully to a place of change. Using metaphor and storytelling allows participants and facilitators to engage in a dialogue that that moves from the left brain language and logic space into the right brain creative space. Participants will be introduced to the work of Milton Erickson and understand how the briefest of interventions can elicit sometimes profound changes.
- Understand how metaphor creates change
- Learn how to develop metaphors to be used in different group environments
- Learn how we can engage clients in the storytelling process
- Learn how to use the “room”, our voices and bodies to create a therapeutic space
- How to see “therapeutic moments” and use them to respectfully challenge participants