- This event has passed.
Workshop: The Casual Counsellor
August 19, 2020 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm AEST$350
At some stage over their careers, many people will find themselves needing to support or help a colleague or a friend who is in difficult circumstances. Counselling skills can often assist in the management of the colleague or friend’s emotional response to an issue or event. Other situations where a person may need to be the “casual counsellor” include helping a staff member who is a direct report, helping a student or parent in an education setting or assisting a client in a non-clinical situation.
This workshop will focus on how to respond to a range of emotions, language and behaviours that often accompany difficult issues. It will also cover how to recognise when you might intervene as a casual counsellor and when you should refer to other professional helpers. Finally, the workshop will also discuss how you can keep from being too involved with the situation and strategies to take care of yourself.
Participants will learn:
- How to identify when a colleague/staff member/client is not coping emotionally
- how to decide when to intervene or assist
- basic counselling skills including listening, using empathy, questioning and reframing
- about their own reactions and the need for self-care.
- Staff in a range of workplaces including the community, education, health and business sectors who may need to support colleagues or clients.
About the presenter
About the presenter
Lilia Szarski is a clinical supervisor and experienced trainer at Relationships Australia Victoria and a qualified, registered psychologist. She is also a member of the Australian Psychological Society, International Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, and the International Association of Applied Psychologists.
Please note that posting onto the Events & Training calendar is reserved for FRSA Members only.