- This event has passed.
CONFLICT, CONTROVERSY AND CHALLENGE – HOW TO FACILITATE THESE DIFFICULT SITUATIONS IN GROUPS
The majority of people experience a level of discomfort when managing conflict. Group members and group leaders are no exception. It is inevitable that conflict will occur at some point when running Psycho-educational groups. It can take many forms, ranging from undercurrents of tension to overt disagreement and conflict. It can occur between participants or be directed toward the group leader. Facilitating conflict within groups can be challenging and confronting. Handled constructively it can be rewarding and a catalyst for change and growth, both for individuals within the group and for the group as a whole.
This workshop will provide a mental map to guide group leaders when facilitating conflict. It will draw on a range of theories and be linked to the process and dynamics of the group so that the integrity and well-being of the participants, the leaders and the group are maintained.
- Examine a range of theoretical models for managing conflict in groups
- Identify typical triggers for conflictual situations
- Recognise the potential situations and early warning signals before they reach a critical level
- Experience at a practical level a range of situations involving conflict
- Explore and share techniques and tips on how to address these situations
- Gain feedback and confidence through working with the other course participants.