- This event has passed.
Theraplay Level 1 & MIM – Sydney
February 20 @ 9:00 am - February 23 @ 5:00 pm AEDT$1975 – $2300
Theraplay Level 1 & MIM
Theraplay® is an evidenced-based, attachment-focused intervention utilising non-symbolic, interactional play to re-create experiences of secure attachment formation between parent and child. Therapist-guided short-term, dyadic therapy focuses on improving the child’s behavioural and emotional challenges through the parent-child relationship. In a session, the therapist guides the parent and child through playful games, challenging activities, and nurturing interactions. Theraplay® helps the child experience previously difficult interactions in new ways, helps overcome fear/ shame, increase trust, and create a positive change in the child’s sense of self. Theraplay® helps the parent be attuned to the child, understand the motives of the child’s behaviour and the underlying needs, manage environmental stimuli, and carefully challenge their child in a safe place. While other therapies may work primarily with the child alone or work with parents on managing the child’s behaviours, Theraplay® has shown that the parent-child relationship is the most powerful and influential element for change. It is also a complementary approach to Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (developed by Dan Hughes).
Theraplay® has been used successfully to help:
- Children with developmental trauma
- Shy, withdrawn children
- Overactive, controlling or aggressive children
- Foster/adoptive children with attachment difficulties
- Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder & Pervasive Development Disorder
- Children with physical disabilities, developmental delays or those who are non-verbal
- Children who live in group settings
- Early childhood students and others who receive services in group settings
You will learn:
- History, core concepts & evidence base of Theraplay®
- The four dimensions of Theraplay®: Structure, Engagement, Nurture & Challenge. Undertake activities for each of the dimensions
- Administer the Marshack Interaction Method (MIM) & analyse it at a beginning level
- Conduct feedback sessions with parents based upon the MIM analysis
- Use the MIM as a guideline for Theraplay® treatment planning
- Observe demonstrations of Theraplay® treatment and techniques
- Practice Theraplay® activities in dyads
- Identify the types of behaviours that require a particular dimension
- Utilise the four Theraplay® dimensions to treat the specific needs of a child
- How Theraplay® is applied to meet the needs of children with behaviour problems, foster and adopted children, children with ASD, & older children
- How to guide parents to participate in a Theraplay® treatment session
This four-day workshop is for practitioners wanting to use Theraplay® Informed Practice in their work and is suitable for practitioners working with children and families ranging from Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Social Workers, Clinical Counsellors, Family Therapists, Counsellors, Play Therapists, Special Education & Early Childhood Specialists, Teachers, Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Therapists, Residential Care Workers and Foster Support Workers.
Participants are referred to the Theraplay® book which underpins the approach (and advised to read chapters 1, 2 & 4 prior to attending).
Please note that posting onto the Events & Training calendar is reserved for FRSA Members only.