- This event has passed.
Theraplay Level 2 & MIM – Brisbane
November 28 @ 10:00 am - November 30 @ 6:00 pm AEDT$1500 – $1750
Theraplay Level 2 & MIM
Considering taking your Theraplay® Training to the next level, learn more here (Australian registrants please note minimum qualification requirements must be met to in order to join the practicum).
Registrants should have attended Level One, and have experience using Theraplay in their work before attending this training (six months recommended).
The training will include lots of practice and a wide range of video examples. Each day will include at least one case presentation to enhance your learning experience. Making a case presentation is not required, but is an option if you would like to receive supervision.
Participants will practice Theraplay modifications for trauma, along with developing and practicing a treatment plan for traumatised clients.
Day 1: Core Concepts In-Depth and MIM Skill Development
This module will focus on several examples of MIMs and their interpretation to improve your comfort and skill in administering and interpreting this assessment.
- In-depth application of the core concepts of Theraplay and current relevant research to case material
- Marschak Interaction Method (MIM) by Dimension: an in-depth analysis using case examples
- Observation and analysis of MIM using case material
- The Parent feedback session: preparation and implementation to enhance the therapeutic relationship with caregivers
- Describe the underlying principles of Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, and their relationship to current attachment and brain research
- Administer and analyze the MIM at an intermediate skill level
- Develop skills in the use of the MIM for treatment planning
- Describe how to use feedback sessions with parents to transmit a sense of hopefulness and trust
Day 2: Working with Parents and Building Your Theraplay Skills
This module will help improve the breadth of your Theraplay skill set to bring your Theraplay work to a higher skill level.
- Assessment of complex parents using case material: clinical decision making related to contraindications for Theraplay
- Working with caregiver’s attachment history in Theraplay treatment planning, feedback sessions and progress
- Implementation of the parent demonstration session
- Managing resistance throughout the treatment process
- Managing countertransference in your work with children and families
- Role play and practice of activities
- Describe methods for overcoming parental resistance
- Describe factors that influence the decision of whether to include parents in the treatment session
- Demonstrate how to use a wider range of Theraplay activities and techniques
- Describe how to adapt Theraplay, a modality of play Theraplay, to work with a wider range of populations, such as children with autism and older children
- Describe strategies for dealing with resistant clients
Day 3: Adapting Theraplay to Work with Trauma and Complex Families
If you work with children who have been traumatised, have attachment disorders or complex families we highly recommend that you attend this program. It will help you sensitively adapt Theraplay to work with this population.
- Developmental trauma and Theraplay: Clinical decision making
- Adaptation of activities for clients and families impacted by trauma
- Engaging caregivers with their own trauma history in treatment process
- Integration of Theraplay with other modalities to meet the needs of children and families
- Adaptation of activities for different populations
- Describe the concept of complex trauma
- Describe three modifications to Theraplay, a modality of play therapy, to meet the needs of traumatised children
- Assess when to use Theraplay in the overall treatment course of a client.
- Describe how to adapt treatment to meet the needs of parents who themselves may be traumatised
Maximum 18 Participants
Please note that posting onto the Events & Training calendar is reserved for FRSA Members only.