- This event has passed.
Trauma-Informed Care and Practice – Blue Knot Foundation
October 24, 2016 @ 10:00 am - 5:30 pm AEDT
This one-day interactive professional development training provides attendees with the knowledge and skills to, better inform them about, and be sensitive to the possibility of past and present traumas in clients and staff, and the vulnerabilities which accompany them.
A significant percentage of Australians live with the ongoing effects of unresolved trauma. To minimise the risks of re-traumatisation and enhance possibilities for recovery it is vital that every person working in health or human services acquires a basic understanding of trauma, trauma dynamics and the core principles of trauma-informed practice.
This training helps attendees to ask the question: “What happened to you?” and reformulate traditional approaches to service provision. Grounded in the latest research it presents the importance of ‘working with’ rather than ‘doing to’ clients, of collaborative relationships, of client and staff safety and of a strengths-based approach. The training facilitates a trauma-informed lens which views many ‘symptoms’ as adaptive or ‘normal responses to abnormal situations’. Importantly this training will provide participants with insights and tools to foster hope and possibilities for recovery, enhance client and staff wellbeing and minimise the risks of re-traumatisation.
At the session’s completion participants will be better able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the types, prevalence and diverse impacts of trauma
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles and importance of implementing trauma-informed practice into services
- Demonstrate knowledge of the stress response on the body and brain in relation to emotional regulation and arousal
- Demonstrate an understanding of challenging emotions and behaviours as ‘adaptive’ responses to trauma
- Apply a trauma-informed strengths-based framework, including an audit, to individual/organisational practice to minimise re-traumatisation and support recovery
- Acquire trauma-informed strategies for supporting emotional regulation and safety
Material presented in the training will draw on research including from Blue Knot Foundation’s Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery www.blueknot.org.au/guidelines
For more info visit: http://www.blueknot.org.au/Training/Calendar-of-Events/Trauma-Informed-Care-and-Practice
Please note that posting onto the Events & Training calendar is reserved for FRSA Members only.